On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Aaron Walker wrote:

> I was considering the following:
> -  a seperate machine to handle all backup's of the various machines on
> my home LAN
> -  buy another 80G and a RAID card and run it in RAID 1
>
> any recommendations?

What I will soon be doing will be hooking up a couple of drives in
software RAID 1, to protect from drive failures.  Then, I'll have rsync
run daily from cron to back up my entire file system to this raid.
Finally, I may tar up critical stuff, such as /etc, and keep a certain
number of days worth.

Rsync is nice in that the first run will take a long time, but after that
it should go quickly.  And logrotate could easily handle keeping the tar
files for a certain number of days, even though they're not logs.

--
CAUTION: Product will be hot after heating