On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 22:47, Krikket wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Basically, and I'm sure you know this, but
> >
> > man emerge
> >
> > has more information than I can ever give you, and it's actually quite a
> > good man page once I got over my fear of it. Just take some time and
> > learn the basics
> >
> > emerge sync
> > emerge -s name
> > emerge -S name
> > emerge -pv name
>
> Prune Verbose.  This one scares me, but that's because the man page
> doesn't give enough on ie.

-p is 'pretend', meaning just tell me what emerge will do, but don't do
it. U's -v to see if the flag settings look good.

> > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" on the above EXCEPT not on world, in my opinion,
> > but that's up to you. I'm no guru. One of these days I'll be learning
> > from you.
>
> This last comment, I don't get.  If I understand correctly (althouhg I may
> not) ~x86 says to use the latest still-in-testing version.

Correct

> After Fedora,
> I've had enough of testing, unstable, and bleeding edge packages.

Then do not use ~x86. The testing versions move toward stable pretty
quickly. I think you'll probably wait less than 30 days mostly, but I
don't have real numbers.

> (4
> kernel upgrades in 2 days...  And that's the *stable* branch!

Yes, there can be a lot of kernel upgrades, but I thin most of that is
different. When you were trying to get your kernel built and it was
failing to compile, this was because of certain modules that wouldn't
build right and not because of the kernel. I think that most of the -r2,
-r3, -4r type kernel upgrades are fixing odd little module issues and
not changing the kernel itself. That's just my guess.

I have no data to back this up, but if I'm running gento0-stable
successfully and it happens to be 2.4.20-r2, I wouldn't (and didn't)
upgrade my kernel until gentoo stable moved to a 2.4.22-rX. At that
point I figure the kernel is more advanced.

One time I would upgrade from -r2 directly to say -r8 would be if I
heard that there was an important security patch that happened or
something like that, but in general I don't touch most of the upgrades.

In fact, I'm running 2.4.22-r2. I tried 2.4.22-r5 yesterday and got lots
of oops problems. SO I just dropped it.

> Xine still
> goesn't work right, consistently.)  Is the ~x86 branch more stable than
> other distros?  (For instance Debian unstable has a long history of being
> even more stable than some stable branches of other Linux distros.)

I have found Gentoo to be more stable than Redhat personally. I had
trouble with both Evolution and some other audio apps when delivered as
RPM's. Gentoo 'stable' has been the best I've used so far.

> And what's the difference between ~x86 and ~xi386?

I only know about x86 and ~x86. I'm sure there is probably more, but I
haven't used them.

> Is there some way I
> can tell when I'll need to use one of those flags in advance of trying out
> the stable version of the package?

Only when stable (x86) doesn't provide something you need. If you
install x86 and it works, just use that. For instance, xine-ui stable
didn't talk to Alsa. I had to use OSS which I only turn on for my junkie
on-board sound chip. I went to ~x86 to get Alsa, specifically so I could
send 6 individual sound channels to my RME card and mix them myself.

Mostly I just run x86.

Learn to use emerge -U so that your ~x86 packages don't get downgraded
to x86.

- Mark