i would really like to thanks all the great helps the gentoo society gave
me. thanks to all the nice people, i finally get the bootsplash working.
let me just list mistakes i had made, so that next person may save some
time.

1. i enabled both vesa and radeon console driver in kernel configuration,
since radeon driver seems slightly faster than vesa when playing movies on
framebuffer. however, this caused problem. if i disable radeon driver and
leave only vesa driver, bootsplash would work.

2. kernel 2.4.22-gentoo-r5 is already patched, no need to apply the patch.

3. bootsplash kernel module does not take initrd as a filesystem image, so
error message will appear in dmesg saying that 'RAMDISK: couldn't find
valid RAM disk image starting at 0' any way. and initrd file generated by
/sbin/splash is not a valid image. so don't waste time on that like i did.