On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Calvin Walton wrote:

> > After rebooting my machine dmesg showed the following lines:
> > hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> more of same...
> > hda: DMA disabled
> >

> > hdb had the DMA on and hda had DMA off but I had no problem turning it on
> > manually.
> >
> > Do I have a problem in hdb? what should I do about it?
> >
> > Why didn't hda start with DMA automatically?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Yuval Scharf
>
> Try enabling the option "Use multi-mode by default", found in:
> Device Drivers
> ->Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
> ->Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
>
> or IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y in the config file.
>
> As the kernel help reads:
> > Use multi-mode by default (IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE)
> >
> > If you get this error, try to say Y here:
> >
> > hda: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > hda: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

Itamar and Calvin, thanks for answering but you were wrong.
My error message is different than the error message written in the
IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE option. It didn't help.

I've searched the web and found out that this is a hardware problem.
It can be caused be a bad cable or cables which are to close to each other,
etc.

In my case sometimes I get the problem and sometimes I don't.

Yuval Scharf