Ow Mun Heng wrote:
On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 17:34, Holly Bostick wrote:

On the other hand, I can't understand how to use dispatch-conf at all.
Why would that be the case? The way you described etc-update, to me it
seems the same as dispatch-conf.

I know dispatch-conf does the same thing, but it does it a different way, and I don't understand the output (it displays diffs, for example, in such a way that I can't recognize which is which, and I don't easily see the commands to select one or the other). I admit this is my problem and likely not some "fault" with dispatch-conf, but I can understand etc-update on first sight, whereas dispatch-conf, I can't, which seems odd to me, and tends to turn me off it.

Admitedly there are minor differences, but both of it does the same job and it's roughly the same process.

On rare occasions, there's something I want from both blocks and getting the new settings means removing a line from the old that I think I want. This doesn't happen often, and when it does is limited to one line, or a few easily recognizable lines, that I then edit manually after finishing the operation on the file. That really

In dispatch-conf, there's an option to interactively merge the difference between both files and choose which gets merged into the final file. It also splits into 2 sides via a vertical line and you choose left or right.

Yes, of course, you can do that in etc-update as well. My issue was, suppose the block of the individual diffs comprises 6 lines. In the original, there are 3 blank lines, one line containing a setting, and one two-line comment.

In the new file, there are 4 blank lines and one two-line comment.

If I want to both adjust the comment (from the diff) and keep the setting (from the original), I have to edit the file manually, because "merging" the diff refers to merging blocks from one with blocks from the other, not merging line-by-line (which is, admittedly, manual editing).

This is not a problem (because the one setting line I want to also add is just one line, and easily recognized, so not difficult to copy and paste), and this issue does not come up often by any stretch of the imagination, but is occasionally necessary, thus something to keep an eye out for, that's all.

Holly