Fabrizio Prosperi wrote:
Hi all!

Here is a snaphshot of my current desktop environment:

http://tosh.dyndns.biz/~fprosper/snapshot.png

I'm running fluxbox 0.9.10 and kde3.3 on a gentoo 2.6.8.1 kernel system, and using current portage xfs daemon at default runlevel.

It seems to me that fonts aren't rendered very well, especially in web browsers (both Mozilla Firefoz and Konqueror).

Does anyone have some hints to help me getting font better rendered?
Thank you.

Fabrizio

My first suggestion would be to "use *real* fonts" (no offence intended). Those "serif", "sans-serif" and "monospace" you've got listed imo render the worst of all the possible fonts you could have installed. If you don't have any real fonts installed, check out the bitstream-vera, msfonts, and many other font packages available in Portage, and then set your browser to use them to render web pages.

Now, this won't help with the menus and all, because that is set by gtk, and your fluxbox desktop fonts are usually set by the theme, iirc. A lot of them (fluxbox themes) like you to have the artwiz fonts installed. I've never been so fond of artwiz fonts, but naturally, unless you want to hack the theme, it's best to have them, otherwise the theme will have to make something up, and that usually doesn't look so good.

For GTK apps, you can install gtk-chtheme, which will allow you to change the font for the menus and whatnot in GTK-based programs (alternatively, if you have GNOME installed, you could use GNOME itself to do so, and run gnome-settings-daemon when you start fluxbox, but a lot of people don't like this solution).

Hope this helps.
Holly