Well, guys, thank U all for the help. I've followed all your suggestions by
now and surely learnt something more; by now gnome-settings-daemon is
running, gtk-chtheme has been *theming* but still my fonts look ugly...maybe
less ugly than before...maybe my eyes haven't been upgraded yet (!)
I should follow my wife's two hours ago advice and go to bed by now.
I'll try again tomorrow.

Bye all!