On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:21:36 -0800, Bob Sanders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >    I thought I was in fat city when I found that DLink still
> > manufactured the DWL-520 and I could get it for $9 after rebates so I
> > bought one, brought it home and installed it. Guess what? It's not the
> > same chipset! My son's 520 uses a Realtek chipset and the new one uses
> > a Prism chipset and ndiswrapper locks up on the FC2 kernel, apparently
> > due to FC2 using 4K kernel stack  sizes.
> >

> while I'm not knowledgeable on this board, did you drop the ndiswrapper
> and try modprobe prisim or prism54?  It could be there are real Linux
> kernel drivers for this board.
>
> Bob

Actually, yes, I tried both. Kudzu found the card and configured it to
use the orinoco_pci driver. That driver starts loading but then says
the card's firmware isn't present and bombs out. (The firmware is
present. I put the card in a Windows box and it works fine.)

I then switched to ndiswrapper which on FC2. You have to do pretty
much everything by hand with ndiswrapper. In that setup ndiswrapper
says the driver and hardware are present, and modprobe ndiswrapper
will load the Windows driver, and genreally I can scan for and
sometimes see the router, but then the system hangs after 2-3 minutes
and I have to pull the power plug to get back. The box will not
respond to any other stimulus.

So, ndiswrapper seems like a reasonable way to go, and if I have to
build a kernel then I'd rather use Gentoo and get the advantages of
portage over time. (Or that's my thought in the cold cruel light of
morning...) ;-)

- Mark