Is there such a thing as deep-dependency? If I try to emerge a ~x86 package
which depends
on a masked package of which I have installed the stable version, emerge will
complain and
I would have to install the dependency first, with all its dependencies. Seems
to me all
dependencies will be resolved. I've had to do it before but never deeper than
one
dependency, unlike my old RedHat 7 system of olden days where I was forever
working out
which rpms I needed and which version.

> I also disagree on package.keywords since it's better to
> test if emerge goes well and that module actually works
> before making any static changes regarding keywords
> or even USE- & FEATURES-flags for that matter.

I guess it is a matter of preference after all you can always edit the file
again and
remove the line. After all even if you use the ACCEPT_KEYWORD and are happy
with the
outcome you would want to put the line into the package.keywords or I think
emerge would
want to downgrade the package next time? I have done some tests and my gripe
with
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is actually not when I use the -D options - it is when I do
'emerge -u' -
it pulls in lots of ~x86 packages so the only way to specify the precise
package is to use
package.keywords.

Eugene.