Then I would suggest that you reboot, then change to single user mode,
remount the filesystem read-only and start your check.

The second suggestion that I have would be to search the rc scripts and
find out where mount is called to remount the fs read/write and stuff a
bash command right before it.  You should get a shell to a single user
mode gentoo system w/ the fs mounted read-only.  You may not want to use
the reiser fs tools if they are on the partition that you intend to play
with.  (Try copying them to a floppy or something).

The file /forcefsck is searched for with the rc scripts which then call
the fsck program.  You could adjust the appropriate script
(/etc/init.d/checkroot -- line 20) to change the fsck command to
something more thorough for your setup.  It seems that the full fsck
should be used there anyway; if someone touches that file then they
obviously wanted to perform a check and, like you, probably not just a
cursory search.  Perhaps a bug-report/patch for the script.

--
boater