On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:18:08PM -0500, John Dangler wrote:
> Is anyone here running qmail on gentoo 2.6.10 ?
> I've been trying for the better part of 8 hours to get sendmail to run with
> no luck.  The tech at my isp said that qmail would be a lot simpler and
> easier to get up and running.  I need to get a mail system running on this
> box!

The NetBSD has a guide that is basically a sendmail configuration
walk-through, suitable for a dial-up user, which needs minor
modifications for Linux:

http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-mail.html

Here's my sendmail configuration file. It's a bit of a mess; it's behind
a firewall, and mostly exists to deliver my outbound mail and so that
fetchmail can deliver mail locally, so I've never really "cleaned it up"
and pruned it down to what's essential. It's picked up some cruft being
hastily ported across 4 or more operating systems and once having been
exposed to the Internet (hey, it's a hobby). It's based on the file in
the NetBSD guide, and I provide it only as a rough outline of what you
might want to do. My machine is named 'turingmachine', my made-up home
domain is mentalsiege.net.
---
divert(-1)
divert(0)dnl
include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl
VERSIONID(`turingmachine')
OSTYPE(linux)dnl
DOMAIN(generic)dnl
FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(local_lmtp)
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')

dnl Enable support for /etc/mail/local-host-names.
dnl Contains hostnames that should be considered local.
dnl
FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl

dnl Dialup users should uncomment and define this appropriately
define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp-server.austin.rr.com')dnl

dnl Uncomment the first line to change the location of the default
dnl /etc/mail/local-host-names and comment out the second line.
dnl define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/sendmail.cw')
define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/local-host-names')

dnl Enable for both IPv4 and IPv6 (optional)
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv4, Family=inet')
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=IPv6, Family=inet6, Modifiers=O')

define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')
define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-to-undisclosed')

dnl Disable EXPN and VRFY to help thwart address harvesters and require
dnl senders to say hello.
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,needmailhelo,noexpn,novrfy')

dnl We wish to make the existence of the local-host-names and
dnl trusted-users files optional, hence the "-o" below.
define(`confCW_FILE', `-o MAIL_SETTINGS_DIR`'local-host-names')dnl
define(`confCT_FILE', `-o MAIL_SETTINGS_DIR`'trusted-users')dnl
dnl
dnl
dnl Use of UUCP-style addresses in the modern internet are generally
dnl an error (and sometimes used by spammers) so disable support for them.
dnl To simply treat '!' as a normal character, change `reject' to
dnl `nospecial'.
FEATURE(nouucp, `reject')dnl
dnl
dnl Rewrite addresses.
GENERICS_DOMAIN(turingmachine.mentalsiege.net turingmachine)dnl
FEATURE(genericstable)dnl
dnl
define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH', /usr/bin/procmail)dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
MAILER(local)
MAILER(procmail)dnl