I am trying to properly configure a diskless server and client. The server (machine A) is on 10.0.0.43. It is running atftpd, dhcp and nfs. My client (machine B) is on 10.0.0.6. I can start machine B and watch PXE get the IP address (10.0.0.6) and bring up the grub menu I customized for this client. I can even get the kernel image to boot. The problem comes when the kernel tries to mount via NFS. The error I get is:

Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 10.0.0.43
RPC: sendmsg returned error 101
Root-NFS: Unable to get nfsd port number from server, using default

I initially suspected a bad kernel command-line argument, but cannot seem to find the problem. The client kernel arguments are:

kernel /bzImage ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs \
nfsroot=10.0.0.43:/diskless/10.0.0.0

On my server, I have a loop root FS mounted on /diskless/10.0.0.0. I tested the server by having tcpdump listen on tcp/udp port 111 and 2049 then running the client. The result was zero packets transmitted. So I am left assuming it is a network/config problem, unfortunately I cannot seem to determine the source.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

_k

--

kph (at) redirontech (dot) com