On Sunday, the 16th of January, [EMAIL PROTECTED] thusly spake:

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 05:53:43PM +0800, ZeeGeek wrote:
sometimes I read books on my laptop, and it's just annoying
to have the xscreensaver blank the screen every few minutes
without moving the mouse or keyboard. so I wanna stop
xscreensaver when I start reading and get it back on when I
finish, is there a way to do so?

maybe i don't understand, but if you run 'xscreensaver-demo', there is an option under 'file' to kill the daemon; when you want to restart it do 'x-d' again & it will ask. that's what i do when i leave my machine unattended & switch off the monitor -- mine's a desktop, not a laptop -- to save CPU effort.

You can do a "killall -19 xscreensaver" to stop it and "killall -18 xscreensaver" to awake it again.

Put that into a script, desktop icon, menu entry, whatever.
There is also "xset s off" but that doesn't work well for me.

YMMV, HTH
        Peter G. a.k.a. nephros
--
"I do not think the way you think I think."
    -- Kai, last of the Brunnen G