Chris Boot wrote:
Hi all,

I need to connect my computer, running Gentoo of course, to my TV. I'd like to get everyone's opinion as to what graphics card I should use to get decent TV output. I live in the UK, so the card must be capable of doing PAL. Another **requirement** is that I can start X **without a monitor attached**, i.e. just the TV.

<snip>

Can anybody comment at all? Maybe you guys have an idea how to force X to start without a monitor?

I use nVidia:

$ lspci | grep VGA
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 420] (rev a3)

I only have my TV attached, no monitor. Works well at 640 x 480, at least. And it's a real cheap card, as well :)

-Arnstein