I modprobed es1371 and it worked fine, however I'm not getting any
sound.  I was getting sound before I upgraded alsa-driver and installed
alsa-utils.  I checked to make sure that alsasound was running; it
wasn't.  I tried to start it and got this output:

baby root # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
/lib/modules/2.4.26-gentoo-r15/kernel/sound/pci/snd-ens1371.o:
init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.26-gentoo-r15/kernel/sound/pci/snd-ens1371.o:
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.26-gentoo-r15/kernel/sound/pci/snd-ens1371.o
failed
/lib/modules/2.4.26-gentoo-r15/kernel/sound/pci/snd-ens1371.o: insmod
snd-card-0 fa  [ !! ]
[ ok ] *   Loading: snd-pcm-oss...
[ ok ] *   Loading: snd-seq-oss...
[ ok ] * ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers
[ ok ] * Restoring Mixer Levels...
 * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!
[ ok ]

I will try rebooting and see if it fixes the problem, but I have a
feeling it won't...