Hi list,

Something happened after an emerge. Now I was hoping somebody could help me to
find the way back.

When booting I get the following :
/proc [OK]
awk: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.0: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

this line repeats for almost 3 screens then follows by :
/sbin/rc: line 276: [: : integer expression expected
swap [OK]
remounting root [OK]
checking root filesystem ...
fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hdd1

Then the usual thing if something goes wrong at boot time, namely that the
superblock is bad. With the question to login as root or reboot with control-D

When logging in I see that the /dev directory is empty
Also the libexpat.so.0 does not exist.

Also when booting and logging in with a CD, like the install, I get the
following after using emerge :
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
Cache service dependencies...
 Cannot add provide 'authdaemond', as a service with the same name exists!

Where did what go wrong and how can we fix it ?

Thanks in advance.
William.