For most of the time my machine has been set up, I have been able to use USB
storage devices without any trouble (mostly). Recently, after a kernel
upgrade, I found that /dev/sda had gone missing. The confusing part is that
I hadn't changed any configurations in the kernel for anything at all. The
modules are all loaded, and I can even see the device in lsusb, I just
don't have a block device to mount it from. So, what could be causing this
and how can I fix it? Manually creating the node isn't a problem, if I can
find the major-minor numbers, which I can't.