I strongly suggest you start over. The kernel in particular filters most
if not all of the user set CFLAGS , because the kernel has very special
requirements. Yes , you will loose a lot of time , but I don't think the
risk of having random problems all over the place is worth it in the
long term. In fact I am surprised a system compiled for the wrong CPU
comes up at all ( had you set more aggressive optimizations it would not
have :) ) ! IMO you should set -march=pentium2
(
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.3/gcc/i386-and-x86-64-Options.html#i386%20and%20x86-64%20Options
 ). I am not very confident of what CHOST does , so I suggest you ask here
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-8.html?sid=814d2c74bcc970023b312b881319334e
 what CHOST is right for you. Good luck.