Dennis Taylor wrote:

Thanks to all who have responded,

I am going to try the Knoppix later today to see if I can get a better X config file. I suspect that the probing done to get the configuration for the monitor did not work quite right. I can probably dig some more and figure out how to get it to use a lower refresh rate or something like that to get it going if Knoppix does not happen to configure it right. More on that later.

I just downloaded a LiveCD made by Slackware which also has the latest KDE 3.4 beta 2 and xorg-x11 installed on it. It is much smaller than a Knoppix LiveCD since it was made for testing the new KDE beta version mainly. You might want to take a quick look at it. Knoppix still uses XFree86 and I've had problems in the past in using their config files with xorg-x11.

The following links may be useful to you:
http://osdir.com/Article4141.phtml
http://ktown.kde.org/~binner/klax/