On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:39:24 +0000, Frank Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> Yesterday I tried to rebuild my kernel to use gensplash, I followed
> the very good howto at [1] and opted to compile gensplash into the
> kernel using genkernel. I am not using the initramfs image stuff.
> Everything appeared to work just fine I get all that lovely eye-candy.
>
> However when my system tried to start X & gnome it locked up. X did
> appear to start, the gnome splash screen appeared, but the icon for
> "starting metacity" never appeared. X locked up so badly that I
> couldn't drop back to the terminal via CTRL+ALT+F1, nor could I even
> kill it with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. I ended up having to ssh into the box
> to disable gnome and reboot the machine.
>
> I then edited my rc.conf so that I'd start a plain old X session. I
> rebooted, and everything worked just fine. I could even run gnome
> based applications (like evolution). So I'm starting to wonder if
> perhaps there is a conflict between metacity and gensplash?
>
> I still have that gensplash kernel available, so I can reproduce this
> at will, but I'm at a stand still. Can anyone offer any suggestions
> here - where should I start looking? Should I grab stack traces from
> X, metacity gnome-session or some other processes?
> I'd appreciate any ideas on how I should debug this from here.
>
> I should also mention that I'm running all this on a Dell d600 laptop,
> the kernel has been patched to use the radeonfb details of the patches
> that I applied are at [2].
>
> any help suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
> thanks in advance,
> --Frank
>
> [1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fbsplash
> [2] http://www.loria.fr/~thome/d600/

I just tested this using initramfs and a manually built kernel, but
the problem still persists.
The issue here is not metacity. I can launch X, metacity, nautilus,
gnome-panel, and everything works fine. The problem is when my machine
boots directly into gnome and launches gnome-session... I might try
re-emerging gnome-session. Again if anyone has any ideas I'd
appreciate it.
cheers,
---Frank