Manuel McLure wrote:

It's called "not changing things that people depend on", AKA "backwards compatibility."

Nick Rout wrote:
How about treating it as a lesson in "not depending on things that might change" and/or "R'ing TFM"

Ciaran McCreesh wrote: > If you want to depend upon undocumented coincidences, that's entirely > your affair. Don't complain when things break, however.

It's becoming pretty obvious that although you are very smart people, you wouldn't last a day in a customer support environment. If I gave that answer to my customers, I'd be fired before the day was over. Sometimes the fact that you're technically right is not enough.

And with that, I'm going to bow out of this discussion, at least on the list. I'll be happy to answer any private emails on this matter, but I think I'll spare the rest of the gentoo-user people this discussion.

P.S. This issue did not affect me directly - I was already using List-ID to filter. But the tone of the discussion set me off. I apologize for dragging this out as long as I did.

--
Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,