A great resource for browsing the portage tree online is: gentoo-portage.com

Fast searching on descriptions.

- Brad

Daniel D Jones wrote:

Long time Linux user but new to gentoo and trying to get a good handle on emerge.

I recently used emerge to install traceroute. During the install, it noted that it was installing net-analyzer/traceroute. I wanted to see what other packages were available under net-analyzer but doing an emerge --search on net-analyzer came up with nothing. So I tried emerge --searchdesc. That brought me to my first question:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~ # time emerge --searchdesc analyzer
Searching... -/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 21: ...
real 22m48.548s
user 18m54.880s
sys 3m29.307s

Hello? Almost 23 minutes to search for a simple word? This is an Athlon 2400+ with a gig of memory. I have a 20 gig hard drive and less than 6 gig is currently being used. It's not exactly state of the art but it's hardly what I'd call slow. In 23 minutes, it should be able to search the entire contents of the Library of Congress. (OK, slight exaggeration but still...) Is this normal or is there something wrong with my install?

Second, is this the only way to see all of the packages in a specific folder? (And is folder the correct term to use here?) Is there a tool or utility which will show all packages, perhaps in a tree format?

If this is documented somewhere, a pointer to the documentation would be complete. Neither man, Google nor the online Gentoo documentation have been helpful to this point. Which isn't to say the information isn't there, of course, but I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.