I start up using xdm and get an login window on vt7 from which I can login. However, if I got to another console (say vt5) and run startx I am told that display 0 is in use - well of course it is! I have /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers setup as this:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X

I've checked the bug about pam_env.conf messing up things so I commented out the display and Xauth lines but still does not work.

What is the proper way to stop and restart X when running in this mode? I tried /etc/init.d/xdm restart and that simply gives me a grey X screen with a cursor instead of a login box.

Thanks.

--

Brett I. Holcomb
[EMAIL PROTECTED]