I'm using WvDial 1.54.0 to dial and start ppp connections to various
servers, using ppp-2.4.3-r1.  It works to every server except one,
however I can dial and connect to that server from another machine using
an external modem.

When I connect a phone to this line and listen in, it seems like my
modem isn't even trying to connect.  wvdail exits with "no carrier".  I
made the "wait for carrier" longer (ATS7=255) and it just sits there
waiting, and eventually the server hangs up.

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZS7=255
ATZS7=255
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT0,********
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT0,********
--> Timed out while dialing.  Trying again.
--> Sending: ATDT0,********
--> Waiting for carrier.
NO CARRIER
ATDT0,********
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.
--> Maximum Attempts Exceeded..Aborting!!
--> Disconnecting at Wed Mar  2 09:14:40 2005

This modem works, because I use it (with wvdail and ppp) to connect to
other servers, and this particular server works, because a windows xp
machine can dial into it.

I don't know why this combination isn't working though...  It's an
internal modem, using slmodemd...

Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>