Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think the problem is "reply all".  Even your message was "To:
> @robin.gentoo.org", with "Reply-to: @gentoo.org", so if I had hit
> reply-all in thunderbird instead of reply, two copies would have gone out.
>
> My guess is mail clients are doing the right thing, but people get in
> the habit of using reply-all.

I disagree. Reply to all is (normally) the correct way of sending a
reply to a mailing list. Using 'reply' should send a private email to
the poster of the message. If the mail client is 'doing the right
thing', then it will just send the message to the mailing list when
using 'reply to all'. That is certainly what has happened when I
composed this reply. So I think it is the mail software which is doing
the wrong thing, when sending to both robin and 'not' robin, and the
user doing the right thing.

On the other hand, I do not think that the mailing list should set (or
override that set by the author) the Reply-to: header to point to the
mailing list. But that is a completely different and controversial
matter.