On Tuesday 29 March 2005 12:36, Holly Bostick wrote:
> I feel that there's some fundamental issue at work when I see so many
> posts (not only here, on all kinds of Linux lists/forums), where the
> answer, or a major clue to the answer, is in the original error
> message, yet users are completely overlooking those messages. I can't
> really believe that the errors are obtuse (or at least I can't
> imagine how they could be made clearer), so is this an educational
> issue? And is there any way to help users see that they more than
> likely already have the capacity to solve their own problems,
> whatever their level of "technical knowledge", often much faster than
> waiting for someone to reply on a forum or (other, slower) list?

Usually two heads are better than one, when you feel clueless you call
for help; someone call sooner than other... Have you ever been asked to
fix a pc that was just unplugged? :-)

A nice (and original too!) idea would be:
write a script

#!/bin/bash
pstree -hal > /tmp/whocalledme.txt

call it "B", make it executable, run again in error condition and then
go to analize /tmp/whocalledme.txt

Ciao
        Francesco
--
Linux Version 2.6.12-rc1, Compiled #7 Sun Mar 20 08:26:19 CET 2005
One 1.53GHz AMD Athlon XP Processor, 2.5GB RAM, 3022.84 Bogomips Total