Much of this is already possible actually. There is certainly nothing that
can't be automated or configured in gentoo with effort. However, distros like
Mandrake already hide startup output via splash screen and allow configuration
of just about everything through KDE and their own tools. I'm pretty sure I've
seen a redhat setup that almost automatically self updated too. But to disallow
the manual editting of configuration files would cripple linux as it is known
today. I'm not sure why that would be a requirement. Anyway, I think linux IS
ready for the typical desktop user, but I don't think the typical desktop user
would use gentoo. Gentoo is a power user/administator paradise. But also don't
forget that the typical desktop user expects that Windows will be preinstalled,
configured, and ready to use. A preinstalled and configured linux box with
Mandrake or Ubuntu, would probably work just as well.