Iain Buchanan <iaindb <at> netspace.net.au> writes:

> Before I start, I know nothing about differences between telnet on
> debian and telne on gentoo.  You may look there first to see if one does
> weird things, like you say.

Well 'locate telnet' on gentoo reveals too many files to discern what's going
on quickly.

> there are a couple of things I would to to see what's happening.
> Firstly, make sure your gentoo and debian box are either exactly the
> same box, or are on exactly the same switch.  You never know just what
> your sysadmin has done (even if you think you know, you could be
> surprised!)

I'm the only admin. I found the behavior with a gentoo system, a debian system
and any number of different embedded targets all isolated on a flat hub.
No DNS, auth, or other fancy stuff going on. Dirt simple class C (/24)
network.

> Then try traceroute or something similar and see if the path to your
> embedded device is the same from each box.
It's all on the same class class C (/24) with no hops. Broadcasts directly
his the target's ethernet interfaces... No QoS or anything advanced
going on.

> If not, there's your answer.  If it is the same, then I'd probably try
> ethereal and capture the output to each box and compare it.  That's how
> I found out ftp was trying ssl first with an embedded device that didn't
> support it, before trying normal ftp.

Yep this is the approach, but it'll take some time. I was hoping for
'short circuit analysis' i.e. surely somebody knows the schema of
telnet's implementation on gentoo? Surely there is an easy way to
install some very old, simple telnet code on the portable, alias it
to another name, like simpletelnet, and let me get on with work, so
as to avoid, playing code_detective on what paranoid security minds
have done to telnet on gentoo.

< I promise not to be a bad_boy and use telnet with a hop metric
If I do, I'll tell the wife, so as to incur a spanking
(oops the holidays are not here yet)>....

IDEAS?

James