On 2020-12-07, Jack <ostrof...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I agree with this one.  I often find emerge fails, telling me the
> reason, and then once I've fixed that (usually adding a different
> package or changing some use flags) it fails in exactly the same way
> for a different package.

Oh yes, on a bad day you can spend hours doing that and accomplish
nothing. :)

> I know it couldn't find the second set of issues if they were really
> dependent on the first set getting fixed, but they are usually just
> more of the same.

After a bit you learn to recognize when you're heading down that
road. At that point, I usually just start uninstlling stuff until
emerge is willing to do the update. You sometimes learn the hard why
which packages you absolutely can't remove to try to make emerge
happy. For example, removing dev-lang/python is a bad idea.

--
Grant