i used to, not with gentoo, but i think regardless of what distro you use,
you need to check out the gatos project

it also depends on what AIW you use, there are three, the old rage, the radeon,
and the
newest one, which might be a variation of the radeon, but perhaps different.

With gatos i had no problem using AIW  rage, and radeon vintage cards to watch
tv.

If you have a pci-express based card, i'd love to know if you get it working,
I was thinking about getting one. If you just have an old AGP type card, i am
pretty sure it will
work fine with gatos.

-tl