Mark Knecht wrote:

It's almost exactly the question I Came back to ask. Thanks.

I finished the python emerge and saw the message about running
python-updater. Before doing that I tried the emerge -pvDuN
python-updater and saw it still wanted me to remove the old python. I
am running python-updater (the old version) now. After that's done
it's then OK for me to emerge -C the older version of python by hand
and proceed with the emerge -DuN python-updater operation?

After the updater gets through, run this without the quotes: "equery depends =dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2" That should tell you if anything still depends on the old version. If it lists something then don't unmerge the old version yet.
I am getting messages about packages now being masked, such as:

 * Adding to list: =games-board/pysol-sound-server-3.01
 * Adding to list: =dev-tcltk/snack-2.2.10

Calculating dependencies -
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "=dev-python/pygtk-2.12.0-r1" have
been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-python/pygtk-2.12.0-r1 (masked by: ~x86 keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

dragonfly ~ # eix -I pygtk
[D] dev-python/pygtk
     Available versions:  (2)  2.10.6 2.12.0 ~2.12.0-r1 ~2.12.1 ~2.12.1-r2
        {X doc examples opengl}
     Installed versions:  2.12.0-r1(2)["proaudio"
/usr/portage/local/layman/pro-audio](19:14:20 01/01/08)(opengl -doc
-examples)
     Homepage:            http://www.pygtk.org/

Do I need to unmask these things by hand to make forward progress?
(Either that or do an emerge -C to remove them and then let an emerge
-DuN world/revdep-rebuild catch them...) It seems strange to me that
an emerge -DuN system operation is leading me to do things that don't
have anything to do with the system. I'm pretty sure that package is
used for a game and just getting caught in this general python-updater
process.

Thanks,
Mark

I would let the updater run then see if anything changes. It may be that some of the packages will be OK as they are.

You can unmask that in /etc/portage/package.keywords and /etc/portage/package.unmask. Keep in mind that these packages are still be tested. You shouldn't use them unless you know the risks.
Dale

:-) :-)