Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Only a proper analysis of your files will tell you this. It's easy enough to
> check for individual file fragmentation and get stats on that before you do
> the copy-off/copy-back.

This is interesting.  I am starting a new install on my backup drive.
I'm part way through the install, fetching all the KDE stuff right now.
This is what I got from the little frag script:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] / # /root/fragck.pl /backup/
0.953336175120985% non contiguous files, 1.02414182192021 average fragments.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] / #

Less than 1% is my starting point I guess.  This currently has ext3 on
it.  I did start out with a freshly formatted file system.  Also, this
is all on one big partition at the moment.

I'll post later what it says after compiling a few packages.  I figure
KDE should stir up something.  LOL

Dale

:-)  :-)