This is a "mountain lion" trick, to fix you need to:
1. Navigate to System Preferences >. Security & Privacy preferences page
2. Change the "Allow applications downloaded from" setting to "Anywhere"
3. Run GeoServer.app
4. You git a popup warning you this application came from the internet, click to run it anyways

You can change the System Preference setting back after; it is just needed to allow GeoServer.app to launch the first time.

I liked the "unidentified developer" warning rather then this "damaged" warning.

Do we know how to sign the GeoServer.app with an apple developer id?

--
Jody Garnett