Hi, the snapshot looks ok to me. What is happening ?

1) you make a request to /geoserver/j_spring_security_check
2) a login should happen
3) the request is redirected to /geoserver/
4) the request is again redirected to /geosrever/index.html, now you
get back some data, which you can ignore.

At the end of the sequence, you have to check if you have received a
cookie called JSESSIONID. Before starting the sequence, check that
there is no such cookie, if there is one, remove it. After the
sequence, there should be such a cookie. Now, open the GUI with
/geoserver/web, on top of the page, you should see the name of the
user logged in.

Please try.
Christian