GeoServer Build:
    Version 2.1.4
    Subversion Revision 17150
    Build Date 01-Jun-2012 17:02
    GeoTools Version 2.7.5 (rev 38793)

I have a multiband GeoTIFF that I want to display in WMS output images but
with transparency in place of "NoData" or a given value (I can change NoData
to a numerical value). This would be trivial to accomplish for a single band
using a ColorMap declaration in the styled layer descriptor (SLD), however,
the ColorMap has no meaning when a RedChannel, GreenChannel, and BlueChannel
are defined (moreover, it seems to break the output if ColorMap is used with
more than a GrayChannel selected; I see nothing).

I've looked through the forums for a similar topic and found the following:
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Trying-to-get-nodata-in-GeoTIFF-to-display-as-transparent-td3853784.html

I've used this trick a variety of ways to produce a whole series of rasters
with different alpha bands, different numerical values in place of "NoData"
but to no avail. I can't follow up on the above thread because it has been
locked down as "read-only."

This is a staple feature of desktop GIS visualization (e.g. "Display NoData
As.../Display Background Value..." in ArcGIS). How can this be done in
GeoServer? Thanks.