Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem, I wondered if you have made any
progress. It sounds as though I have followed the same steps as yourself.

I have found that if I open in QGIS a geotiff with noData = 0 and an alpha
channel added as band 4, that nodata pixels are transparent. If I import the
same layer from GeoServer nodata is displayed as a solid colour.

Best wishes

Mark