Dear colleagues

The 2021 Harold & Margaret Sprout awardees were announced recently. This year,
we have two phenomenal authors as co-winners:

Marwa Daoudy (Georgetown) for The Origins of the Syrian Conflict
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/origins-of-the-syrian-conflict/27BFB986E63812BE4BC100FA23FA869A>.
 Published by Cambridge University Press.

Michael Méndez (University of California, Irvine) for Climate Change from the
Streets: How Conflict and Collaboration Strengthen the Environmental Justice
Movement
<https://yalebooks.yale.edu/book/9780300232158/climate-change-streets>.
Published by Yale University Press.

Both make significant and important contributions to our understanding of
global environmental politics.

On Daoudy’s book, the committee believed:

"The Origins of the Syrian Conflict convincingly debunks the conventional
narrative that resource scarcity inevitably causes conflict. Through a rigorous
analysis of the Syrian civil war, Daoudy shows us that the consequences of
climate change and resource scarcity can be attenuated by sound government
policy. This empirically rich and timely book holds enormous implications for
the environmental security and resource scarcity literatures.”

On Méndez’ book, the committee believed:

"In Climate Change from the Streets, Michael Méndez focuses on the equity and
justice dimensions of climate policy. Writing as a scholar and practitioner
with a deep knowledge of California’s climate policy and politics, Méndez
convincingly argues that policymakers must embrace both social justice and
public health principles to address the climate crisis. His multi-scalar
analysis, which demonstrates the power of the environmental justice movement to
influence climate governance at every scale, is a hopeful and important
contribution to the climate change and environmental justice literatures.”

Congratulations to both authors for these remarkable pieces of research!!

Unfortunately, we will not be able to celebrate in person. However, we will be
honouring our awardees at the ISA-ESS Business Meeting, which will be taking
place virtually at 2pm ET on 21st April. Note as well that will also be
honouring the awardees from last year  at the same time, i.e. Jessica
Steinberg, for Communities, Mines and States: The Local Politics of Natural
Resource Extraction
<https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/mines-communities-and-states/6906F981847B43E83E2CCE272605668F>
 and Honorable Mention, Cristina Balboa for The Paradox of Scale: How NGOs
Build, Maintain, and Lose Authority in Environmental Governance
<https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/paradox-scale>.

We hope that you can join us! Further details to follow in the official
announcement from the ESS.

Best wishes,
Charlie

  <http://www.ibei.org/>
Charles Roger
Assistant Professor
+34 935 423 030

Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals
Campus de la Ciutadella (UPF)
Ramon Trias Fargas 25-27. 08005 Barcelona (Spain)
www.ibei.org <http://www.ibei.org/>