Kirill Bessonov wrote:
Dear Gmx users,

I had been using Gromacs for couple of years and always found these forums quite helpful. Right now again I have another question to ask that I was not able to figure out yet myself and reading previous posts.

I need to the ffG53a6 forcefield to be able to recognize the non-standard amino acid like AZE (Azetidine-2-carboxylic acid) which closely resembles Proline, but lacks CH2 group in the ring of the side-group, making the R-group a 4 member ring instead of 5. Thus, this amino acid has very close chemical structure to the Proline which is properly defined in the *.rtp file as below

[ PRO ]
 [ atoms ]
    N     N     0.00000     0
   CA   CH1     0.00000     1
   CB  CH2R     0.00000     1
   CG  CH2R     0.00000     2
   CD  CH2R     0.00000     2
    C     C       0.450     3
    O     O      -0.450     3
 [ bonds ]
N CA gb_21 N CD gb_21 CA CB gb_27 CA C gb_27 CB CG gb_27 CG CD gb_27 C O gb_5 C +N gb_10 [ angles ]
;  ai    aj    ak   gromos type
-C N CA ga_31 -C N CD ga_31 CA N CD ga_21 N CA CB ga_13 N CA C ga_13 CB CA C ga_13 CA CB CG ga_13 CB CG CD ga_13 N CD CG ga_13 CA C O ga_30 CA C +N ga_19 O C +N ga_33 [ impropers ]
;  ai    aj    ak    al   gromos type
N -C CA CD gi_1 CA N C CB gi_2 C CA +N O gi_1 [ dihedrals ]
;  ai    aj    ak    al   gromos type
-CA -C N CA gd_14 -C N CA C gd_39 CA N CD CG gd_39 N CA CB CG gd_34 N CA C +N gd_40 CA CB CG CD gd_34 CB CG CD N gd_34

The question is how can I derive from this Proline definition topology the corresponding topology for AZE? The problem is that I do know how to

You can use PRO as a framework, but you'll likely have to define completely new angle and dihedral terms for the four-membered ring. No such group exists in normal biomolecules, so likely the force field cannot handle it without modification.

interpret the each column such as the "gromos definition" column gd_14, etc, as well as other columns..... Where can I get information or tutorials about this important issue on how to create own topology files? Maybe someone can explain those columns in easy terms? What are

The terms are defined in ffbonded.itp:

; Dihedral-angle type code
; Force constant
; Phase shift
; Multiplicity
; Example of usage in terms of non-bonded atom types
;
;
; ICP(H)[N]  CP[N] PD[N] NP[N]
;
#define gd_1    180.000       2.67          1
; CHn-CHn-CHn-OA (sugar)  0.6

Therefore, gd_1 is the type code, 180.000 is the force constant, 2.67 is the phase shift, and 1 is the multiplicity. The comment line below this definition is its example usage in terms of standard atom types/functional groups.

corresponding atoms referred by atom names in the final structure as the there is not ASCI diagram of those as I've seen in AMBER tutorials?

The atom names used are standard nomenclature for amino acids.

Also I am interested in knowing on how the topology files are created from scratch?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.

MILES-IGERT Trainee