Erik Price wrote:
Yeah, this is totally offtopic of Linux but I know there are some helpful hackers on this list and was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind letting me know if there is a mental trick to working out the results of bitwise comparison operators.

I don't know of any shortcuts offhand, but I can do the simpler stuff in binary in my head. For the harder stuff, I just use a small program (usually Perl) to give me the answer. (Why are you trying to do binary in your head, or on paper? That's what computers are for, doing binary math.)

This reminds me of a funny T-shirt that a former co-worker got from Think Geek:

"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't."