On Aug 10, 2006, at 6:11 PM, Ben Scott wrote:

 The nature of these voltage regulators also means the regulation is
somewhat approximate -- there are typically only three or four taps,
and it takes time to switch taps.  I'm not sure how much that really
matters, but given that some of this test equipment costs > $100,000,
I'm willing to pay to get "perfect" conditioning.  :-)

I think that pretty much sums it up. You likely don't want COTS equipment; I'd suggest shopping for a a commercial electrician and/or electrical engineer. Perhaps he or she can recommend COTS equipment, but it's beyond what I've seen at the data centers I've worked with. The magic isn't that hard: a large DC charger into a pool of batteries, a DC-to-AC conversion facility (I suspect a mechanical motor-generator might be more desirable than a solid-state unit) and voltage and frequency regulation. But it might be worth consulting with a professional electrical rather than IT person...

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com