Cole Tuininga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 10:14 -0400, Mark Komarinski wrote:

>> > ZFS?  :)
>> http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/
>
> Right - but because FUSE lives in userland, my understanding is that the
> performance is somewhere around 50% of what you'd see on Solaris.  On
> top of which (at least, from my meager understanding of it) you're still
> going to have to go through the Linux's VFS layer which is going to
> reduce the usefulness of ZFS significantly wrt data integrity.

Actually, the FUSE overhead is extremely low.  I've actually
measured it using tools like bonnie++ using a home-made FUSE
filesystem that effectively mirrors the underlying filesystem
(i.e., just a passthrough), and the overhead was only like 5%
compared to direct EXT2/3 access.

-derek
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        PGP key available