[I originally posted the below to the ubuntu-us-nh list; I didn't
realize the thread started on both lists.  So here's a copy for
gnhlug-discuss.]

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Susan Cragin <susancra...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I want to run without Gnome or KDE, with just a bare-bones windows manager
> that
> can be configured to open up with, say, four terminals running and the
> ability to tab
> between them.

 FVWM is my preferred window manager/environment.  It's lightweight,
powerful, and hyper-flexible.  But "out of the box" it's not much to
look at; the stock config is pretty minimal and ugly.  If you want to
configure the computer to work *exactly* the way *you* want it, FVWM
is ideal, but all that power comes at a cost.  You're basically
building the layout yourself.  Whether or not that's what you want is
entirely your call.

 If you do want to go the FVWM route, I can answer questions.  Post
here or on the gnhlug-discuss list.  I know we've got a couple other
FVWM fans on the gnhlug-discuss list.

 To get an idea of what FVWM can do -- and optionally to get some
canned configs you can copy-and-paste ideas from -- check out the
screen shot gallery on the FVWM site:

http://www.fvwm.org/screenshots/desktops/

 It's telling that you can find a screen shot that looks like pretty
much every other window manager/desktop environment/OS every created,
all done using FVWM.  :)

-- Ben