In the never-ending quest to tweak things so that they work just a little bit
better I've managed to enhance Ghostscript so much that I can't print anymore.
:-(

Here's the deal. Running RH 7.2, had things working fine but saw that the hpijs
driver promised better print quality and options. So I changed from using the
cdj550 driver to hpijs. Hmm, not much difference. Ho hum. But it still worked okay.

So I notice that there is a new version of hpijs that promises whizzy new
features, blah blah blah. But to use it I need a newer version of Ghostscript
(6.53) because the version I have (6.51) doesn't have the enhancements needed to
support the new hpijs.

Okay, upgrade Ghostscript then. But there's no RPM. Not a problem, get the
tarball and build it. Piece of cake. Got it all installed, ghostscript works
great, ghostview works great, printing doesn't work at all.

It is amazing how hard it is to find out where logging of printer problems
actually happens! It is not in the system log (/var/log/messages) like you might
expect. Nah, that would be too easy. You have to look in
/var/spool/lpd/<queue-name>/lpq.0 in order to see what is really going on. Sigh.

So now I've nailed it down but don't like the obvious solution of going back to
the previous version of Ghostscript. The problem is that the new version of
Ghostscript includes a driver for the newer ijs and not hpijs. The ijs driver
incorporates all the older hpijs functionality with an abstraction layer that
allows to work with non-HP printers as well.

The magic filter on the printer queue calls Ghostscript to process the input
stream with a driver specified as hpijs. I'm trying to find where the
configuration info that governs the structure of the command line passed to
Ghostscript can be found. My thinking is to change the way that Ghostscript gets
invoked by the printer's magic filter.

So, does anyone out there know how to do this?

--

Dan Coutu
Managing Director