On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 12:49:29 -0000
"Rich C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Message boards are like news servers. The advantage of message boards is
> that you can set one up on a server you don't have control of...

Ah ha.  (Perhaps the light dawns.)  Thank you, Rich, and I hope
at least one other list member gained illumination from your answer.

So, if I'm on the right track, Linux Weekly News (and /daily) is
a kind of message board - and a damned good, high-content one at
all times.  Slashdot is a message board - and a damned good one
some times.

(And a wiki, although a related animal, lives in a very different
problem space.)

One parameter would seem to be who does the managing and/or
moderation.  LWN, for instance, requires a LOT of staff time - it's
no exaggeration to call LWN an example of professional, on-line
journalism, with real reporting, editing, and production.

Density of worthwhile content would seem to depend on quality of
moderation, then, whether newsgroup, mailing list, or message
board(*).  Right?

(A wiki is by definition essentially unmoderated - it's designed
for a community whose members trust each other for quality.  Again,
the example is workgroup collaboration, I think.)

Thanks -

Bill

(*) This was the downfall of some of the examples I mentioned in
my earlier post.  It seems to be an always recurring, and always
unfulfilled, hope that some clever mechanical device will yield
high quality content without human effort.