I have a substantially similar arrangement with sub-accounts under a
checking account. And I also use v4.12 under Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

I suspect there are a couple of things going on:
1) When you click the Open button on the placeholder account, nothing shows
up. If you want to see the consolidated balance and listing of
transactions, in the Accounts tab, right-click on the Banking Account line
and select 'Open SubAccounts' from the pop-up menu. That will display all
the transactions in the sub-accounts
2) I agree, the Reconcile button is grayed out when you open the register
this way. I can't say if that's a feature or a bug, but it can also be
worked around by -- from the Accounts tab, right click on the Banking
Account line and select 'Reconcile' from the pop-up menu. That will open
the Reconcile Information window that you're familiar with and be sure to
select 'Include subaccounts'.

Robin