Alan Olsen wrote:
I have been trying to find what it takes to get a license for using
IDEA with gpg.

The first question is why you need IDEA in the first place. It's a usable cipher, but it's hardly a paragon of modern design. Better than brute force attacks exist against at least 4.5 of its eight rounds, and more may have been discovered since I last read the literature.

Assuming you need IDEA, the last I heard the terms of the patent license involved it being free for noncommercial use.

The easiest way to get a license for IDEA for commercial use--and probably the cheapest--is to buy a copy of the lowest-end PGP product. Presto, you have a license to use IDEA for commercial purposes. Compile the idea.c code, drop it in GnuPG, and you're off to the races.

Warning: I am not an IP lawyer, I am not even the equivalent of a drunk IP lawyer. Consult your own legal counsel.