Goanet next meets in Goa: January 7, 4 pm (meeting point: Kala Academy canteen).
Goanet founder Herman Carneiro will be there. See you there!
------------------------------

On 25 Dec 2003 airesrod <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote..
> Subject: [Goanet]NRIs SHOULD BOYCOTT GOMANT VISHWA SAMMELAN
>
> NRIs should consider boycotting the stage-managed and extravagant
three-day Gomant Vishwa Sammelan to be held at Kala Academy from 3rd to 5th
January 2004 .
Comment: Consider and reject the idea of boycotting. Be present and make the
difference.

The conclave  is going to be a criminal waste of scarce public funds without
any concrete results in sight and a mere merry-making party for chums and
friends of the communal and casteist BJP  who will pack the hall for a show
in the name of NRIs.
Comment:This is an unfair pre-judgement...like the jews baying for the blood
of Jesus.Place the facts before the people first.

> It is ridiculous that the Government claims that 700 NRI delegates would
attend the conference The authorities may struggle to get 70 NRI s to attend
knowing very well the event is a futile exercise.
Comment: This statistics may be close to reality, though not for the stated
reasons.

2004 will see Goans have to pay exorbitant  parking fees and other enhanced
taxes ostensibly to pay amongst others for such a Sammelan that could very
well have been avoided.
Comment: No parking fee at the Sammelan.

> The Government of Goa is  using the GFC to present to the world a
deceptive  image  that the quality of life in Goa has improved. By lighting
up Panjim as has been done, will fool no one. We can see utter darkness down
the tunnel.
Comment: Can anyone in his/her senses deny that the quality of life has
improved?
Take a test. Name the first collge for arts,science,commerce or management
in Goa and the year it was studied. Compare the number of graduates in Goa
in say 1951and 2001.

> The one major factor that drives NRIs from returning to their land is
Corruption and Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has for political compulsions
not shown any initiative to root out this evil as was promised.

> Goan politicians and their chums have to be condemned for making frequent
overseas trips as these trips at taxpayer expense have in reality been
shopping and sightseeing jaunts. Chief Minister Parrikar  whilst in the
Opposition  had vehemently opposed such trips and on assuming office had
assured that he would not allow any. He has conveniently deviated from his
assurance to keep his colleagues happy and more importantly his chair
intact.

> Government of Goa has to be deplored for sending a delegation to the Gulf
recently to study NRI grievances in spite of Government already being fully
aware of the longstanding NRI grievances and vows.

> To encourage Goan NRIs to retire in Goa, the Government should seriously
address the issue of old age and medical care. The overall infrastructure of
Goa is an issue of great concern and the steep rise in dacoities and murders
is also something that scares NRIs away.

> Many Goans feel the urge to play a role in shaping the future of Goa but
the authorities would have to encourage NRIs to return and invest their
skills and savings in the land of their roots and mere holding Sammelans at
tax payer's expense would be an exercise in vain.

---