|              Add your name to the CLEAN GOA INITIATIVE                 |
|      by visiting this link and following the instructions therein      |
|   http://shire.symonds.net/pipermail/goanet/2005-October/033926.html   |
Gilbert Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 10:10 PM
Subject: [Goanet] Patron Saint of Goa

 >From the time Albuquerque won the battle for Goa on the feast of St.
Catherine of Alexandria  (obviously prior to St. Francis Xavier) to the year
2000, the Patron Saint of Goa was St. Catherine.  As correctly pointed out
by others, when Padre Jose Vaz was made Blessed in 2000, he was made the
Patron Saint of Goa replacing St. Catherine.

Venerable Padre Jose Vaz was made Blessed by Pope John Paul II at a ceremony
held in Colombo, capital of Sri Lanka, on January 21, 1995 and was
proclaimed Patron of the Archdiocese of Goa and Daman on January 16, 2000 -
January 16 being his liturgical day (day of his feast), as he died - in Sri
Lanka - on January 16, 1711. I had already pointed this out in a reply to
Oscar Lobo's post on goanet.

Jorge

|                    Goa - 2005 Santosh Trophy Champions                 |
|      Support Soccer Activities at the grassroots in our villages       |
|  Vacationing in Goa this year-end - Carry and distribute Soccer Balls  |