I do think that making progress towards software which shows no signs of errors
despite millions of users each with hundreds of hours of usage would be a Good
Thing.

I also believe that folk who create stuff like go and give it away for free are
not going to be willing to be put into a position where they could be liable
for lots of money.

Perhaps there’s space in the world for an equivalent to Underwriters’ Lab. Such
an organisation would test, examine, measure, analyze as they saw fit to
approve a software product according to standards that they published. If MS or
IBM wanted the Labs approval, they’d pay a pretty penny to get it. Since these
companies now use open source, they might also wish/be prepared to contribute
to a charity which would do two things - research ways of doing this software
stuff better (and publishing, and providing the goodies to the Labs for
deployment); and pay to push ‘free software’ throught he Labs.

Even better if the charity owned the Labs…

— P