My last reply may have been inappropriately filtered. Here it is again:

The only SOAP web services solution compatible with App Engine (that I'm
aware of) is located at http://code.google.com/p/sfdc-wsc/. Check the
Downloads tab for a pre-built JAR that should work out-of-the-box with App
Engine.

- Jason